Be the person your dog thinks you are


 On March 28th, just over three months ago, my beautiful boy, Sammy, flew away to Heaven.

It’s been a time of deep grieving, and to say that I’ve been heartbroken would be an understatement. I miss him more than words can convey.

 My life revolved around that dog, and his absence has left a mammoth void in my heart, and in my life, which cannot be filled.

We had eleven years together, and developed a bond, which, I believe, cannot be broken, even in death.

Time marches on, however, and I think it’s time to try and begin moving beyond the sadness and grief of that initial loss, and to reflect on all the goodness and love that he brought into my life in our time together.

Here is one such thought -

I remember the way he would look at me with those beautiful wholesome eyes - looking back at me with an unconditional love, trust, and confidence that could not be shaken. He believed in me. My dog thought I was the greatest. It was clearly evident, there in his eyes.

Was I the greatest? Absolutely not. Did I deserve that level of love, trust and confidence? Not likely. Such is the wonder of dogs.

But, what if, despite my previous shortcomings, I lived every day of the rest of my life actively working to live up to to being the person who Sammy thought I was? Wouldn't that be a great way to honor the life of my beloved boy?

I believe it would. And so it shall be.

So, until we meet again, this is for you, Sammy. I love you!

Comments

Popular Posts