Photographic Musicianship


I am a photographer.

As a photographer, it only stands to reason that I would enjoy looking at beautiful images, and follow a number of fellow photographers who inspire me with their talent and skill. 

That being said, a lot of times listening to photographers speak of their craft doesn't do a lot for me. With a few notable exceptions, I don't always detect a lot of passion in the minds of some photographers around the work that they do and the images they create.

I am a person who thrives on passionate creativity.

So, what is it that truly inspires me to be a better photographer? 

Music. I love musicianship.

I love to listen to a master musician speak of their craft - the respect they have for their instrument - the heart and soul that goes into bringing their idea to life - the stories behind how those songs came to be - the passion and love they have for each of their creations. 

This speaks to me on a molecular level, and I try and take a musician's approach to the craft of photography.

The camera - this is my instrument. 

Capturing an image, taking it to the edit bay and working through the process of creating something that's (hopefully) beautiful and compelling - this is my craft.

The final image - this is my song.

Then, I put my song out into the world and hope that my photographic musicianship comes to life in that final image.

It's a unique approach, this I know, but it works for me.

Rock on!


 



Comments

Popular Posts